Wednesday, 6 March 2013
Blog Design and HTML: How To Get and Install Free Social Media Icons For Your Blog
Before I start this post, let me tell you I am useless with Technology. I have somehow managed to design my blog myself with the help of google and I thought I would share some tips I have picked up along the way.
Where to get free social media icons
Before doing a bit of research on google, I was not aware that there are websites out there that offer free social media buttons. I have seen 'blog designers' charging £5+ for these and unless you want something bespoke I think that that is frankly taking advantage. A search on google pulls up icons in all sorts of colours.
I will say that you should be careful and make sure that the site looks 100% genuine as you are downloading content.
I got mine from this site, and all seems well so far. I also recommend Miss E blog, she has loads of designs and some are really cute and pretty.
How to install the social media icons
I am using Windows, so if you are using any other operating system you may want to look for another tutorial.
1. Download your chosen social media icons. They are usually downloaded as a zip file, mine go into the folder 'downloads'.
2. Extract the zip file so you get the actual images. I did this by right-clicking the zip file and then clicking on 'extract'.
3. Upload your chosen icons to a photo hosting site such as Photobucket.
5. Add the following code;
<a href="Your Twitter/facebook/bloglovin profile URL" target="_blank"><img src="direct link to the image in photobucket" alt="Twitter"/></a>
6. Change the writing in red to the desired links.
7. If you want the icons to be in a row, add each code for each icon in the same widget.
8. If you want the icons centred, add the HTML code <center> at the beginning of the HTML codings and </center> at the end of the coding.
I hope this has helped some of you, as I said I am no expert.